How I Found Out That I Was a Bitter Person – And Started Cleaning Out My “Closet”
Big thank you to VIP Member, Joyce Boyer, who shared this with the attendees at this year's Mastermind Retreat.
Written By: Joyce Boyer, 1st Capital Mortgage in Oklahoma
One evening I was reading Facebook and found an article and short video called “Bitter People Have These 5 Habits” by DavidWolfe.com.
I’m not a bitter person.
But just for the heck of it, I read the post and stunningly realized I was bitter.
Here’s a list of the 5 “bitter habits”:
- Feeling Jaded
- Holding Grudges
- Being Jealous
- Seeking Attention
- Being Negative
When I attended the Mortgage Girlfriends Mastermind Retreat this year, one of the sessions was called, “What’s In Your Closet?”
As I looked into the closet of my soul I found:
- Realtors that don’t fit my business model
- Borrowers that are difficult to manage
- A company relationship that needs to change
Clothes that Don’t Fit:
- Marketing niches that aren’t successful
- Direct mail, buying leads, old systems that don’t work any more
- Fear of ideas that won’t fit
- Good intentions to do things differently…but never do
The Closet Is a Mess:
- Lack of time blocking
- No consistent loan process or follow-up system
- Not planning your week to prospect
Needs to Be Aired Out:
- Not open to change
- Not embracing new business relationships
- Need to consider becoming an expert in new loan products
Old Style Shoes, Purses and Clothing:
- Being around negative thinkers
- Not adjusting to the new ways of attracting business (texts, social media, etc.)
- Being jealous of the success of others
No Time to Clean:
- Failing to keep up on the “cleaning”
- Chasing new ideas before finishing what you started
- Not making time for family and friends.
Worn and Tattered Clothing:
- Making mountains out of molehills
- Holding grudges.
It’s been way too long since I cleaned my closet.
I have taken the first step—I’ve opened the closet door and am ready to get started now!