Fun Is a State of Mind
By: Cindy Smith, Certified Integrative Wellness Coach and Personal Trainer for professional women. For a free consultation, contact Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dictionary.com defines fun as “something that provides amusement; enjoyment or playfulness.”
As I began writing this article, I became aware that fun is more of a perspective, a choice, an attitude. I must admit, I am a very focused, task-driven person. My husband will attest, I can manage to suck the fun out of anything if I get in my “accomplishment state of mind.” Just like learning to eat healthy and exercise, it takes time to establish new habits for putting more fun in our lives.
Staying true to my task-driven nature, here are some ways to implement more fun in your journey to becoming healthier and happier:
- Schedule “fun” breaks into your day
- Blow bubbles
- Attend a sporting event or concert where the energy is contagious
- Rearrange your furniture (I did this recently and it really was fun!)
- Dance while you cook dinner – make it a dance party and get the whole family involved in dinner prep
- Listen to a comedian on the way home from work
- Read a book just for enjoyment
- Have lunch in the park and swing (maybe before you eat)
- Play Frisbee with your kids or dog before making dinner
- Meet a friend for lunch or a glass of wine after work
- Paint or draw, releasing your creativity
- Plan a trip
- Pretend to be a tourist and explore a different area of your city or neighborhood over the weekend
- Eat a new food
- Take a selfie or snapchat pic of you making a funny face and send it to a friend.
- Do something for someone else – my grandmother-in-law used to say, “If you are having a bad day, do something for someone else.”
I would love to hear what you are doing to have fun!